Women spend a lot of time and effort on their hair. A lot of women covet long, lush hair, and according to “Hairfinder,” research also shows men consider women with long hair more attractive than women with shorter hair (see References 1). For women who yearn for long hair or just want to add some volume, clip in extensions are a perfect solution. You may find putting in clip-in extensions a bit tricky at first, but with practice, you start to feel more comfortable and, thus, shorten the time required to put them in. Learn how to put in clip in hair extensions and achieve a beautiful, natural look by following a few easy steps:
1. Lay out all of the hair extension wefts. Wefts are the separate pieces of hair extensions and there should be different wefts of varying sizes, each with a set of push open and close clips on the top. Flatly laying out the wefts before starting helps you recognize the different sizes and stay more organized when clipping them into your hair.
2. Hold all of your hair back as though you were putting it into a low ponytail and pull out a small section of hair from the very bottom. This section should span from one side of your head to the other, and it should be about 1/2-inch thick.
3. Twist the remaining hair and secure it onto the top of your head with a clip.
4.Take the first weft—this should be one of the smaller wefts with only one or two clips, which fits the back of your head across the part of hair—and clip it into place. Slide each clip down the hair so the top of each clip rests against the part showing between the bottom layer of hair and the sectioned hair on top of your head. Snap the clips close and they should fit snugly into the hair.
5. Pull down a bit more hair, just enough to barely cover the first weft underneath.
6. Clip the second weft into place. Find the weft that best fits this section of hair, without going further than your ears. Clipping in a weft that is too long leaves gaps in between the clips and creates unnatural bumps in your finished style.
7. Continue on in this pattern, alternating between sections of hair and the wefts, until you reach the top of your head. You may find it easier to let all your hair loose for the very last extensions and fit them into place with your fingers so you can ensure there is an adequate amount of hair left over top to cover the tops of the wefts.
8. Feel around on your head and use a mirror to see the back of your head to ensure all of the extensions are properly in place and not showing through (see References 2).
9. Style your hair as desired.